Born in Skopje, Macedonia in 1974. Holds a BA degree in Filmmaking from Brooklyn College (USA) and a MFA degree in Photography from the Academy of Arts of Novi Sad (Serbia). From 1996 to 2000 worked in film industry, directing short films, documentaries, music videos and commercials. His short films and documentaries have been screened at a number of international film festivals. Since 2001, he has left the film scene and has been immersed in photographic work, initiating numerous documentary projects.
Works as a freelancer. He has exhibited his work at national and international museum and gallery venues. In 2008 his project Macedonia Dreaming was part of the Beyond Walls – Eastern Europe after 1989 program at the Noorderlicht Photo Festival in the Netherlands.
Blazhev is a recipient of numerous grants and awards for his photographic work.
His work is distributed and represented by Anzenberger Agency.
Books published by Macedonian Center of Photography: Sparks – Initiatives for a Safe School (2004) and Homebound (2009), by Templum: Macedonia Dreaming (2007), Skopje with Eyes Wide Open (2008) and The Faces of the Invisible City (2010), and by Moser Verlag: East (2008).
Blazhev has thought photography classes at NOVA International High School, the Macedonian Center for Photography, the Institute for Ethnology and Anthropology in Skopje, as well as numerous workshops for youths.
Currently, he is an assistant professor at the Faculty of Art and Design at the European University — Republic of Macedonia.
INDEPENDENT PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITS
- Skopje, Macedonia, The Faces of the Invisible City, Info Center of EU
- Skopje, Macedonia, Homebound, Cinemateque of Macedonia
- Skopje, Macedonia, Skopje With Eyes Wide Open, street exhibition Old Bazaar
- Krakow, Poland, Macedonia Dreaming, Alchemia
- Cetinje, Montenegro, Macedonia Dreaming, Biljarda
- Ohrid, Macedonia, Friends, Cultural Center
- Skopje, Macedonia, Macedonia Dreaming, Museum of the City of Skopje
- Skopje, Macedonia, Friends, Tochka Gallery
- Skopje, Macedonia, SPARKS: Initiatives for safe school, Museum of the City of Skopje
- Tetovo, Macedonia, SPARKS: Initiatives for safe school, Gallery of the Music School
SELECTED GROUP PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITS
- Berlin, Germany, Skopje — A Changing City, Spandau Cultural Center
- Leeuwarden, Netherlands, Noorderlicht Photo Festival – Beyond Walls: Eastern Europe after 1989, Fries Museum
- Vienna, Austria, Young Eastern European Photography, Brick5
- Graz, Austria, Photonic Moments II, Fotogalerie der Rathhaus
- Podgorica, Montenegro, Photography Adventure, City Gallery
- Ljubljana, Slovenia, Photonic Moments II, Ljubljana castle
- Thessaloniki, Greece, Balkan Square, Photographic Center of Thessaloniki